The Thatched House Lodge – Richmond Park London

The building we are thatching is small 18th-century two-room thatched summer house from which the main house takes its name, the Thatched House Lodge.

The Thatched House Lodge is a Grade II-listed building in Richmond Park in the London Borough of Richmond, Since 1963 it has also been a royal residence, being leased from the Crown Estate by Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy (born Princess Alexandra of Kent and, until his death in 2004, her husband Sir Angus Ogilvy. The main house has six reception rooms and six bedrooms, and it stands in four acres of grounds.

the-thatched-gazeboThe residence was originally built as two houses in 1673 for two Richmond Park Keepers, as Aldridge Lodge. It was enlarged, possibly by William Kent, in 1727 as a home for Sir Robert Walpole. The two houses were joined in 1771 by Sir John Soane and renamed Thatched House Lodge. It had also been known as Burkitt’s Lodge.

The house was used as a grace and favour residence by various members of the Royal Household including General Sir Edward Bowater, and General Lynedoch Gardiner, respectively equerry to the Albert, Prince Consort and to Queen Victoria. Sir Frederick Treves retired to the house after he successfully operated on King Edward VII’s appendix in 1902. Edward VII awarded use of the house to Sir Edmund Monson on his retirement from Her Majesty’s Diplomatic Service in 1905. Thatched House Lodge ceased to be a grace and favour property in 1927.

richmond-park-thatched-lodge-pcardThatched House Lodge was the home of Wing Commander Sir Louis Greig (equerry to King George VI when he was Duke of York), who was deputy Ranger of Richmond Park from 1932. It was then acquired by the 5th Duke of Sutherland. U.S. General Dwight D. Eisenhower was allotted a suite there during the Second World War.

Quite a place and we feel very privileged to have been tasked & trusted to work on such an historic property.

Check some British Pathé News reel with the building in the back ground.